July 29, 2015

Jokes on Grandma

Eid Al-Fitr always become the most awaited celebration for most people in Indonesia. It is the longest public holiday when the big family could gather, pay visits to long-lost family members, spend the nights over in hometown, and eat lots of food. This year, my grandma decided to spend holiday at my house, which is unusual. Normally, it's the children who had to visit the elder.

However, I was not that excited in welcoming grandma because I know exactly the big question she has in mind. My sweet grandma is 82 years old and suffering short-term memory loss. She couldn't recall what she had for breakfast an hour ago and whether or not she had taken a bath. Despite of this, she's a lovely, caring grandma, who puts priority of others than herself. In the big family, she's known for helping relatives finding partner. Yup, she's a love cupid. She never forgets to question each of her grandchildren to get boy/girlfriend. She worries the single ones, which none other than me. Consequently, I have to deal with her frequent question, "Dear, have you got a boyfriend?"

She once arranged a date for me with her friend of friend's son. I didn't mind at that time, however it didn't work. She teased me if I'm thinking of getting a boyfriend or if I plan to become a single old lady. Well, I would say building relationsthip takes time, it cannot be imposed. How could the elders become such impatient?

To make her happy and to keep my pride on, I told her, "Grandma, I actually already met a really nice guy. His name is David, a British, very sporty and handsome. We've met in Madame Tussauds Museum in Amsterdam." Then the conversation went like this:
Grandma : "Really??? Show me the picture!"
Me          : (showed her the photo) "Look, grandma, we've even done sports together!!"
Grandma : (examined the photo carefully though she couldn't see well due to her low vision) "Has he ever visited
                 Indonesia? Then, please make it fast. What are you waiting for?
Me          : "Don't worry, grandma. Our relationship will be everlasting."
Grandma : "How could you be so sure if he never visits Indonesia?"
Me          : "Because it's a wax-made relationship."
Grandma : "?????"

Eventually she figured out who the real David is. I couldn't help but laughing. Sorry, grandma.. ;)

David, after this workout, we should pay grandma a visit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment